Nokia’s long time partner and now partner of Jolla, ST-Ericsson has announced brand new SoC on its NOVATHOR family called NOVATHOR L8580. This is not the fastest SoC around, but could still be interesting option.
- eQuad™ CPU running at 2.5Ghz
- Cortex™- A9 processor
- LTE/HSPA+/TD-SCDMA multimode modem in a single die
- POWERVR™ SGX544 GPU
- Unique audio architecture with a wide support of audio codecs
What is eQuad?
eQuad is a CPU architecture in which each processor core can operate as an industry-leading high performance core, running at up to 2.5Ghz in the case of the NovaThor L8580, or a very low-power core running at 0.6V.
The architecture – built on STMicroelectronics’ advanced FD-SOI process technology – delivers a faster and cooler experience for today’s applications and does not require the specialized low power cores as used in alternative multi-core CPU architectures
What is NOVATHOR L8580 capable of?
- Full HD 1080p camcorder, multiple codecs supported (H264 HP, VC-1, MPEG-4)
- 3D HD video capture and display
- High-resolution, touchscreen display support up to WUXGA
- Simultaneous dual display support up to dual qHD
- High-performance 3D graphics
- Dual camera support up to 20 Mpixel and 5 Mpixel
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GNSS (GPS+GLONASS), FM and NFC enabled platform
- Built-in USB 2.0, HDMI out
- Optional support for mobile TV standards
So why should you care about this? For starters ST-Ericsson is long time partner of Nokia that has been in discussion to bring NOVATHOR platform to Nokia Windows Phones. Unfortunately that talk has been mostly from ST-Ericsson and the discussion has been drying up in that front for the past 12 months.
Another, more likely brand to carry NOVATHOR is Jolla, that’s only SoC partner at the moment is ST-Ericsson. Though Jolla to carry this exact SoC on their first phone might be cutting it too close, with the samples of NOVATHOR L8580 being shipped to partners in this quarter.